Here are some stats from the Greater Chicago Food Depository:
- Thirty-nine % of the households who receive food from the Food Depository include at least one employed adult
- About 33 % of the people the Food Depository serves are children under 18
- 10 % of study respondents were 65 and older
- 25 % of households served have at least one family member in poor health
- 22 % of clients surveyed live in the suburbs
- 10 % own the place where they live
- 9 % of clients are homeless
In the past my daughter and I would do a door-to-door food drive in our neighborhood that I would then take to a local food pantry. As the kids have gotten older, life has taken me in every other direction and we have gotten away from that tradition – it’s time to return course.
So I have decided to hold a Virtual Food Drive with Greater Chicago Food Depository (a charter member of America's Second Harvest national food bank network). You can:
- donate whatever you want
- spend however much you want
- you don't even have to leave the comfort of your desk chair!
- it's tax deductible!
When you click on the link, you will be taken to a secure server where you can shop for the foods you want to donate. You money goes a long way because the The Greater Chicago Food Depository gets a special rate on the items you select; your money goes farther with this process that it would if you shopped for the food yourself.
So if you, like me, have a very crazy life, but long to help others, together,let's get out the virtual wheelbarrow... please consider donating to the Greater Chicago Food Depository with me. Tis the season.